For Regular Customers who want the basics:
For Testing out new features:
A note on new firmware versions - If you interested in playing with the latest and greatest features and giving feedback to the eMotimo Team - jump on in an play with newer version. The risk of big bugs is low here unless we state otherwise. Usually we are adding and tweaking small features and adding functionality. You can always revert to prior versions as well. We do recommend you stick to RC_007_58SP1 for production shoots unless you need a specific feature in a newer release.
- If you are connecting to Skaarhoj PTZ Fly and PTZ Extreme decks, use RC007_100SA.
- If you are on Inertia Wheels you should be on RC007_106
To update the firmware:
- Download the .srec firmware file you want.
- copy srec file under (or into) the update folder of your uSD card so it looks like SDCARD:/update/ST4_RC000_xx.srec. If the card is blank you need to create the update folder. HEY YOU! Location matters. Do not put the srec file into the "update/firmwares" folder . . .don't put in in the root . . . really -only put it in the update folder!
- Insert the uSD card to the spectrum - make sure it goes in straight and is fully seated.
- Power on and wait 30 seconds, the screen will be blank while updating - check that the new firmware flashes on the screen on startup.
- Remove and store the card for safekeeping
- BugFix for our standard released firmware. All Dragonframe users should update to this version. For all other users, this update is not necessary. The resolved issue had to do with the ST4 incorrectly reporting the M3 (typically slider) motor as stationary during a move. This causes issues with Dragonframe then initiating a camera capture for a potentially moving motor.
- Additionally, for any user intermittently experiencing an issue where your screen is not displaying correctly on startup, this resolves the issue.
- Adds New Option in Settings Menu to select what virtual Stop you want to set with the L1/R1 buttons on the remote. Go to Settings, 5th Screen, L1/R1 Stops: and select what you want to happen when you click the L1/R1 buttons. The four options are:
- M4 only (default) where the L1/R1 acts like most other firmware and sets virtual stops for the Focus port (M4)
- M3 Only - for slide control only or whatever you have connected to the M3 port.
- M3+M4 - Both stops are set at the same time. This gets trickier of course as you need to know which side of the stop you are setting. If you haven't set up any motor reversing
- L1 Sets the furthest joystick left you can go with the M3 port, and the furthest you can go when squeezing the L2 trigger.
- R1 Sets the furthest joystick right you can go with the M3 port, and the furthest you can go when squeezing the R2 trigger.
- All - Pan, Tilt, M3, M4. All Min stops for Pan/Tilt/M3/M4 are set at the same time by hitting L1. All max stops for all axis are set at the same time by hitting R1
- IMPORTANT NOTE - As Always all virtual stops are cleared by hitting the Options button on the PS4 remote.
RC007_105 (9/28/2020) BETA - Only for Inertia Wheels customers with the third Axis.
- Updated ST4's Settings - Telemetry2 screen to read out slide target position.
- Updated Inertia Wheels code to read third wheel and assign to the M3 (Slide Port). Do not use this firmware unless you are testing the third wheel.
RC007_100SA (9/1/2020) BETA - Best for IW customers without the third Axis and Skaarhoj connectors.
- Updated Skaarhoj i/o port selection. Choose VC.
- Updated Inertia Wheels for non-third wheel function
RC007_96 (05/12/20) -
- Update to API for VISCA control development
RC007_95 (05/07/20) -
- BUG FIX for Inertia Wheels Button Interface causing slider lockup
RC007_94 (05/06/20) - REMOVED
- Update to API for Inertial Wheels Looping Mode
RC007_93 (05/01/20) -
- Update to API for VISCA control development
RC007_92 (04/24/20) -
- Inertia Wheels API update - enable Set1 and Set2 for slider stop buttons in Live Mode. Now in live settings, you can control the slider motion, sets stops on either end, and control speed with Left Dial. Also, Button 4 is a clear button to clear stops.
RC007_91 (04/23/20) -
- Inertia Wheels API update to handle re-connections better. Fixed issues with Button Displays.
- Added feature - all Run Once Video moves can be triggered to start from the i/o port using an external intervolometer (ioPort has to be set to Ext. Trig). When a move is triggered this way it will auto repeat and return to start, waiting for the next trigger.
RC007_89 (04/16/20) -
- Added Setting for Shots/Frame in Photo Tools --> Pano/Giga. This setting will trigger multiple shots at a single position before moving to the next frame. Added to enable stacking of images to reduce noise for Astro Panos - https://fstoppers.com/originals/how-remove-noise-stacking-multiple-photos-392032
RC007_87 (04/10/20) -
- Fixed Dwell Issue on Video Moves to remove broken backlash compensation
- Updated Inertia Wheels profiles to enable live control slides.
- Added ability for live pan tilt control during controlled slider by hitting up arrow on DPad during move - Experimental!!
RC007_84 (03/16/20) -
- Inertia Wheels updated to include single option in i/o port and offer Inertia Wheels motor profile in Live Menu
RC007_83 (03/06/20) -
- BUGFIX - Easy Mode focus lock after one move
- API updates and I/O options for Inertial Wheels addition.
RC007_77 (2/06/20) -
- BETA Version with a new Easy Mode - most apparent change to prompts if you aren't used to it.
- BUGFIX on some multipoint moves behaving badly when parameters like duration, or rampvalues changed.
- Increased internal move sizes from 2880 frames to 5760 frames. This is a 4 minute move at 24FPS. This helps with longer Live Records/Playback on box and when programming with Dragonframe.
- Added eMotimo Fast API option where eMotimo can communicate over i/o at 4x speed (230400 baud)
- KNOWN ISSUE - EASY MODE - Focus Motor set to "Hold" after any EasyMode run. Resolved on restart, or by changing in Setting's menu.
RC007_76 (12/23/19) - BETA Version with a new Easy Mode, a guided shot set up.
RC007_58SP1 (11/11/19) - BugFix - Pano Giga AOV issue resolved. We recommend updating to this version if you plan on using the Pano/Giga functionality.
RC007_58 (2/20/19) - Current Version - Shipping with all new units as of June 2019
- Updated EEPROM Timing to spec to help with instance of settings not "sticking" after power cycle
- Fully enabled Jog functionality with Dragonframe 4.1. This release and beyond is officially approved by Dragonframe. The eMotimo spectrum is now the first 3rd Party Device to natively support real time shooting.
- Known issue - pano/giga not resolving AOV correctly.
RC007_53 (1/21/19) -
- Slowed down backlash compensation on return to start for all moves.
RC007_52_2 (1/7/19) -
- BUG Fix - Fixed overrun issue with long linear moves where motor would no long change direction during set up.
RC007_52 (12/6/18) -
- Implemented delays based on Start and End Dwell times on Programmed Video for ping pong mode.
- Feathered FPS on starts to help easy back into reverse direction change for interviews. Helps with large camera setup.
RC007_50 (12/4/18) -
- Added MYT Sliders to Settings Menu
- Consolidated all slider choices to only 7 profiles
- enabled User 1 Tuning - Profile Stored to Memory - Access via Tuning option in Settings menu. This profile is then selectable on Live Motion Menu along with other standard profiles.
- Increased LeadIn/LeadOut Frames to 2000 each for SMS programming
- Revised Deadzone calcs and joystick reading routines - finer resolution for crazy intricate joystick work. Evened out velocities on both sides of joysticks.
- Fixed issue with selected Dragonframe accelerations not applying
RC007_43 (7/5/18) - API Update
- Added G215 and G216 commands to return StopA and StopB positions on request. API is published here.
RC007_42 (7/2/18) - Pano update
- Updated Pano feature to be able to shoot up to 5 minute exposures (user request)
RC007_40 (6/22/18) - Bug Fix - folder creation for SD Card writing
- Resolved Bug in LOG folder not creating correctly.
- Removing old builds from download area.
RC007_39 (6/21/18) - Working through Dragonframe Real Time interface
- Put back in Dragonframe code for V2 - see this article
- Resolved issue with dragonframe where uploaded move would not copy to the end.
- Added eStops
- Playhead accurate and working for keyframable DMX lighting.
RC007_38 (6/20/18) - Playing with logging. Triggering RED Cameras.
- Update Test DD to be silent.
- ID'd issue with max speed, max ramp moves hitting limits, sharp change, updated max ramp value to be 40% for video, min 5%
- looked at throttling of the velocity during move, now allow up to 20% overage compared to 10, globalized variable.
- Added code for SD Card read/write tests.
- Updated Programmed Shots Summary screen to show filename of log file (known issue where this changes after it is written)
- Fixed issue with writes to EEPROM
- Removed several frame variables that were cluttering the code
- Fixed non-reverse bug of the timelapse
- Adding basic triggering code for the RED for both video and SMS. Custom cables are on order. Added Settings for I/O Port: RED Trigger.
RC007_34 (4/26/18) - Updated Move Profiles, moving forward with Dragonframe 4.1
- Added New Dana Dolly Profile called DD Test to manage starts and stops better for heavy cameras. This feathers our starts and stop more to help reduce/remove vibrations some users are seeing with during the starts. Try this out with at least 20% ramp in programmed moves!
- Updated the way M4 reads feel (this is typically for Fz) We updated the reads from the R2/L2 Squeezy triggers to remove deadzones and make the first 50% of the engagement more sensitive. Several users said getting the lens into the right position was tough with the old "curves". We like the feel better now too.
- Added Real-Time Interface for Dragonframe - open to certain customers only. Reach out if you want to test to email@example.com
RC007_28 (2/23/18) Shipped with all new units in 2018-mid 2019
- BUGFIX- Resolved issue of Slider Selection not retaining
- BUGFIX- Continuous mode for Photo Tools--> 360VR works as expected
- BUGFIX - Resolved double fire for external triggers Photo Tools--> 360VR
Known - Issues with this version (updated 4/26)
- Issue when modifying a ping pong shoot that has been stopped. Recommend, fully setting up any new ping pong shots rather than break in and modify to avoid this bug.
- BUG -Fixed Display issue with Photo Tools
- BUG -Fixed Runaway Tilt issue with Photo Tools 360 mode on star
Found Issues with this version (updated 2/22)
- Bug - When selecting ifootage slider from setting menu, motor profiles not retained on power cycle
- Bug- can't start TL360 mode continuous
- Bug-Double fired external triggers from 360 Photo mode.
- Merged Dana Dolly and original ST4 firmware
- Updated Settings menu to reorder and add new options
- Added Screen Flip option
- Added Slider Selection Option – Select your slider – this selection will drive the motor profiles available for selection as well as distance calculations on the display.
- Added i/o port option for API / Dragonframe
- Added AfterRun Placeholder – Future functionality
- Added easy Link to Telemetry 1 and Telemetry 2 screens
- Added Version information
- Programmed Moves - Timelapse - Increased Max Frames for Timelapse to 2880
- Programmed Moves - Video – Increased Max Duration from 1 hour to 12 hours.
- Programmed Moves – First Screen – shows Pan/Tilt and now Slide information live
- Programmed Moves – Multipoint – Increased onboard keyframes from 5 to 9.
- Programmed Moves – Multipoint – Enabled programming without remote in the field. Use only 8Way joystick. When selecting a multipoint move, first click sets Pan/Tilt, second adjust Slide/Focus.
- Programmed Moves - Multipoint –Axis Movetypes – added multipoint Linear as an option – this is very good for focus. Still recommend using multipoint curved for pan and tilt in all scenarios.
- Programmed Moves - Duration/Ramp control is now much improved to prevent users from selecting values that could result in impossible moves (overspeed, accelerating too fast).
- Programmed Moves -Enforce speed throttling during moves to prevent motor overspeed for impossible multipoint moves.
- Programmed Moves - Stopping video moves mid run is more graceful, rather than hard stops.
- GoTo Frames – users can now “bailout” of setting a Target by pressing. Square without locking it down.
- Live Motion – Improvements and changes to many move profiles. Addition of Dana Dolly Turbo mode that is recommended only for 24 volt supplies.
- Live Motion – Rec/Playback. Increased Max record time of live moves to 2 minutes at 24fps (2880 frames).
- Photo Tools – Incorporated Sun Tracking Modes
- BUG Fix – resolved issue of small motor moves when transitioning between certain screens.
- BUG Fix – display issues when moving between menus.
B007_16 as of 08/10/17
- Update Sun Tracking
- Bug fix for suntracking mode early exit from tracking mode after several minutes.
- Added 16 x slew mode
- Now showing degrees and Time Elapased
- Added backlash comp on start to help understand directions its going
B007_14 as of 08/8/17 (not available for download anymore)
- Updated Quiet motor profiles to be less prone to skipping on fast starts with heavy rigs.
- Added Screen Flip Option in Setting's menu - (for those underslingers)
- Added Photo Tools --> Sun Tracking - this is basically using the tilt axis to counteract the rotation of the earth (15 deg/ hour). Slew adjustment at various rates to help push it on track.
- Added Shutter trigger to eMotimo API - G400 series. (eMotimo API is a toolkit to control your emotimo over the serial port and was added in B007_9)
B007_9 as of 06/9/17
- Added Dragonframe support
- Added eMotimo API
- Added 9 Point Moves
- Updated Setting's Menu to be 3 pages long instead of side by side.
- Added new I/O port setting with:Ext Triggering (default), eMotimo API, Dragonframe as options.
Reported Bugs in B007_9:
- 6/22 - Reverse for SMS (Timelapse) doesn't work. Just fires a single shot and returns to main menu. This doesn't seem to be an issue with video moves.
B007_6 as of 5/17/17
- Updated max SMS frames from 1000 to 2000
- Increased record time to 2000 frames (at 24fps, that's about 83 seconds of free-form recording!)
- Turned back on External Triggering
B007_5 as of 5/12/17.
- Backlash compensation on the start of all programmed moves
- Additional Photo Tools Menu with
- Pano/Giga - unchanged, working well
- NEW - 360's - in test - should make it easy to set up single dual and three row 360's by simply pointing to a start point and selecting how many pics you want in a 360. Add rows if you want, and go.
- Note - External Triggering not enabled in B007_5