At one time or another many users have issues connecting their remotes to the spectrum st4. The video below walks you through troubleshooting to get you connected.
1) Charge your remote.
Is your remote charged? If your answer is yes . . .it blinks white when I press the remotes, then STOP and read this. You can't be sure just from that information. A remote with 1% battery (dead battery) will blink white for a few seconds and never connect, or connect then immediately shut off. Charge your remote fully. The PS4 dual shock remotes are finicky on charging and won't accept any USB port or cable to take a charge. To start, use a computer USB port. We haven't found one yet that doesn't work. The only indication that your remote is charging is a pulsing orange glow on the back of the remote LED. When fully charged, it will turn off. Even a fully charged remote will glow orange when first connected to a good USB port/cable.
2) Is your dongle installed?
The remote connects via Bluetooth to the external dongle on the side of the spectrum. This comes pre-installed, but some users don't know what this is for so they take it out. Without this dongle, there is no chance of connecting your remote. If you are throwing your ST4 into a backpack or bag for travel that isn't the included case, it is wise to take it out so if the bag or spectrum is crushed, the spectrum or dongle won't be damaged, but remember to put it back it in when shooting!
3) Is your dongle fully seated and getting power?
On the half-moon dongles, a red power LED can clearly be seen. On the rectangular dongles, it is harder to see, but if you look through the bottom, you can see a dim red light seeping through the cracks of when the spectrum is powered up. This is your indication that the dongle is powered up. If you are unsure, pull the dongle out and reinstall it pressing it fully into the remote port and look for the light.
So you have a charged remote and a working dongle, then you are ready to connect. Let's go.
4) Timing is important for connecting.
The best way to connect your remote is to follow the steps below exactly.
- Power on your spectrum by plugging in an approved power source to the barrel connector.
- Withe the remote held within 1 foot of the dongle, immediately (not 5 seconds later, not 15 minutes later, not some time later, or before or after you get coffee . . .really immediately) press and release the PS button on the remote. It will be begin a slow, regular flash in white while it tries to connect.
- When connected it will turn blue.
- If the above process doesn't work then power off the spectrum. Wait for the remote to stop flashing and repeat.
5) Irregular connection -What is it? How can I fix it?
If your remote shows solid white on the LED after attempting connection for more than 5 seconds, we didn't get a good connection and your remote won't work as expected. Please unplug the spectrum, wait for the remote to turn off (it takes about 15 seconds after you unplug the spectrum for the remote to power down). and then start the connecting process again.
6) When should I re-pair a remote? Unless its a new remote . . .never.
Going through this process doesn't typically help and can introduce more issues. If you lost your remote, or you or your kid used the remote with a Playstation, go through this repairing procedure. https://support.emotimo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003856932-Pairing-a-new-PS4-remote-to-the-spectrum-ST4
7) Replacing your Dongle - If you have an old half moon shaped dongle, the new rectangular dongles are much more reliable.
You can order from us, or here's the same one from Amazon. This is the model that we currently ship with all new spectrum units. We started using this in February 2018.
8) Nothing else works? Contact support.
Please insure you have a fully charged remote, and the dongle is installed and seated - we are going to ask you about this first thing so please make sure you have done this! 9/10 times, connection issues stem from this.