Thinking about making the next leap in motion control? Here is everything you need to get started with an eMotimo spectrum ST4 and the Dana Dolly Portable Dolly System.
1) Buy the spectrum ST4 and integration kit from eMotimo:
2) Get your Dana Dolly from Dana Dolly, from B&H or Adorama
- For a fully mobile system, we recommend getting the full kit with case ($1,285.00)
- Going to only be using it in the studio? Save some money and get the same kit without the case, with the Universal track ends ($829.99) or Original track ends ($699.99). If you are ordering in Europe or other places where you plan to source pipe locally, go with the Universal kit to give you more flexibility on pipe diameters.
3) Get your Track
4) Get your Stands and Support
If you are ground or apple box based, then you are set, but if you want some stands to make height adjustments a bit easier in the field or studio, consider the following options:
We don't recommend standard C-Stands as they just don't hold up with stability for heavier cameras. C-Stands are fine if you want/need a center support.
Matthews makes a great slider stand with a wide base called The Slider Stand.
The guys at American Grip make a stand specifically for Dana Dolly, give them a call at (818) 768-8922
5) Get A Ball Adapter or Mitchell Plate to connect the ST4/ST4.3 to the Dana Dolly
Dana Dolly kits have 100mm bowls and 75mm bowls. To use them with the ST4, you will need a ball adapter like the 500BallSH (100mm) from Manfrotto, but the 520BallSH (75mm) works too. Get the short handle to allow you to run low! This is like what many tripod heads have, but instead of the head, it just ends in a 3/8-16 stud. eMotimo includes a Riser / Clamp with the eMotimo spectrum ST4 & Dana Dolly Integration Kit. We like this approach as it allows you to easily get your horizon right with and dolly that might be a couple degrees off level.
Alternatively, if you want the lowest mount possible - consider the screw on Mitchell Mount Plate we sell here. You can tie down the Clamp we ship with the eMotimo kit to it easily.