Here's what you need to get started:
- Check your firmware of the spectrum st4 (shown on startup of the spectrum in upper left corner). If you aren't on RC007_28 or above, you need to update your firmware. We have included specialized motor profiles specific to the Dana Dolly. Your spectrum ST4 running on R006 version will not perform well with the Dana Dolly.
- Open and peruse these well-written and illustrated instructions (attached to this article).
- Get started by mechanically mounting your spectrum to the Dana Dolly carriage. If you don't have a half ball leveler in 100mm or 75mm, you need one. You can get one from all the usual shops - 100mm Half Ball & 75mm Half Ball . The spectrum ST4 and eMotimo Clamp Riser are included in the eMotimo Kit. The ball Adapter (receiver) is included with new versions of the Dana Dolly kits.
- Mount up your motor and belt clamps per the instructions for you Dana Dolly configuration
- Power with a VMount/Gold Mount battery if you can. We include a 24V AC Adapter, but freeing yourself from one more wire is powerful and enables faster setups.
To help with stability, here are some additional tips and tricks to get your shot more steady:
Tip #1 Get rid of the springs and suspension - tighten down the bolts from the top with the tool included with the Dana Dolly. You are looking to compress the triangle section to the main chassis while the dana dolly sled is mounted to the track. The wheels, without the belt attached, should not make any noise. If you are hearing squeaking, it indicate that the wheels are skidding, rather than rolling. Start over and get those wheels perfectly inline.
Tip #2 - Lighter is not necessarily better on the sled. Sandbags / shot bags can help to lock the an place them on one side of the sled to allow it to make better contact and prevent minor bumps from causing issues.
Tip #3 - Support the rails every 3-4 feet. If your end are solid on the ground, but the middle is floating, the rails may bend and flex and won't provide good support or damp out vibrations quickly.