Setting expectations and Networking Skills:
Connecting Skaarhoj devices is on a wired network where all eMotimo units are in a known location (IP address). To set this up in your studio will require a medium to high level of understanding about how your network is set up and where you want your eMotimo's to be in that network. If you have a Network Administrator that helps with these things, he or she need to be part of this conversation. If you are a DIY user, you need to be able to access your router, DHCP server, and make decisions on static IP assignments.
We used to require users to log into the Network Adapter Web Page to configure. Since mid-2022, we added functionality for the ST4 to autoconfigure based on your network. This saves time and effort and makes the process available for network newbies as well as seasoned professionals.
- eMotimo spectrum ST4
- eMotimo Network Adapter
- Skaarhoj PTZ controller (PTZ Fly or PTZ Extreme)
- Wired Network Router where you have access to see IP assignments.
Config of the eMotimo ST4
- Install RC008_19 firmware for the ST4. You can find this and update instructions out here The Latest Firmware for your spectrum - R8
- On successful firmware upgrade, use the 8 Way switch to navigate to Settings, go down until you see i/o Port. Click in with button to make selection active, and use up/down to select "VC", or "Skaarhoj". Click the center button to select it.
- Power down the the ST4, then insert the 2.5mm TRS connector from the Network Adapter to the i/o port of the spectrum.
- Power up the ST4 and check that the i/o port is still set to VC or Skaarhoj
- Return to the main menu. Do not connect the PS4 gaming controller at any time during Skaarhoj use.
Config of Network Adapter -The OLD Way
- Power the adapter up by plugging into wall power with the included adapter.
- Plug in a Network cable to connect to your network.
The Network Adapter is set to DHCP. You will need to have access to your router, to determine the IP address it is assigned. When looking at your router, look for EMOTIMOST4_0XX to see what address was assigned by your router.
Mark this down. It should be on the same subnet as your Skaarhoj PTZ Fly or PTZ Extreme Controller. For example, our EMOTIMOST4_010 on our network was found to be assigned the address 192.168.2.61.
- Here you have two options:
3.1) You can use your router to create a permanent IP address reservation for this network adapter. This will mean that whenever your connect this Network Adapter to your network, it will always be assigned the same IP. If you are changing networks, and want to retain DHCP ability, this may be a good option for you. Refer to your router documentation for specifics on how to do this.
3.2) You can log into the Network Adapter, and assign it a Static IP address.
Assign a Static IP for you Network Adapter:
- User a browser from a computer on your network, log in to the Network adapter by going to the ip address you found in the steps above. For example, go to http://192.168.2.61 (Warning, this example address will NOT work on your network, you must find out where your router has assigned it!)
- When prompted, username: admin password: eMoti
- Click Change Local IP Config Tab on left
· Set IP Type: Static
· Set IP address that you are currently logged into.
· Set Submask of 255.255.255.0
· Set GateWay and DNS Server to be your router’s address.
DOUBLE CHECK YOUR SETTINGS!!!! If you set a static IP address that is not accessible from your network, you will no longer be able to log in and make changes. A full reset will be required and you will have to have access to a network where you can access the IP address 192.168.0.7
- Once you confirm your settings, save, then restart the Network Adapter. It will restart with you changed settings.
- Close and open a new browser to log in to the Network Adapter again at the static IP address you just set. This will insure you still can “see” the Network Adapter.
Set up your Skaarhoj controller
- Install the Skaarhoj firmware updater for your computer
- Hook up your controller with power/POE and connect via USB to your computer.
- Open the Skaarhoj Firmware Updater and select the correct Device from the drop down menu.
- Click the Online Configuration Button.
- Look for the eMotimo ST4 multicam configuration and select it as active.
- Set your IP address of your PTZ Controller AND Set the eMotimo ST4 IP address as the Network Adapter you set up above.
- Save the active configuration
- Return to the Skaarhoj Firmware Updater and click Upload Firmware. Wait for it to compile and upload to your controller.
- With a successful upload, it will show success and the controller will reboot and be ready for connection to your network. Hook up a network cable to your controller
Regular Connections and Startup
- Insure the Network Adapter is connected to the i/o port of the spectrum. Power on the Spectrum ST4. Do not connect the PS4 gaming controller.
- Power on the Network Adapter and insure connection to the Network Cable.
- Insure your Skaarhoj Controller is plugged into the network, and then power on.
- Once booted the controller will begin looking for devices. On connection, the Cam1 light of the controller will illuminate, showing that it is ready to go.
- Press Cam 1 to select it and make it active for live control.